英文裡有一種說法是"throw caution to the winds",把謹慎丟到風裡和中文的「豁出去」有異曲同工之妙。講這話時,經常是有點情緒,有時候也帶著小小自嘲的幽默。

I'm going to throw caution to the winds and guess that you feel like hell today.
我豁出去了,我想你今天的日子也不會好過。

John threw caution to the winds and told the boss off today.
約翰豁出去了,今天把他的老闆臭.了一頓。

Amy threw caution to the winds and told George she loved him.
艾美豁出去了直接就向喬治表達愛意

 

http://blog.udn.com/corecorner/article

英倫翻譯社 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()

 

 

Customer:Good day. I was wondering if I can still use these coupons.
顧客︰你好。我想知道我是否還能用這些折價券。
Cashier:Let me take a look. I’m sorry. These expired a month ago and cannot be used. Instead, let me give you a newer coupon sheet.
收銀員︰我看看。不好意思,這些一個月前就過期不能用了。但我會給你一張較新的折價單。
Customer:Excellent. Can I use them today?
顧客︰好極了。那我今天就可以用了嗎?
Cashier:Of course. That’s why I gave them to you.
收銀員︰當然囉。所以我才會拿給你。

英倫翻譯社 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()

 

Waiter︰Here's part of your order. Who's having the fried noodles?
服務生︰這是各位點的部分菜餚。請問誰點炒麵?
Customer︰That's mine.
顧客︰我的。
Waiter︰Be careful. The plate is very hot, and the sauce may spatter.
服務生︰小心。盤子很燙,醬汁可能會濺出來。
Customer︰Thanks for telling me.
顧客︰多謝提醒。
Waiter︰I suggest you hold up your napkin so that none of it gets on your clothes.

英倫翻譯社 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()

 

◎陳成良

The people of the Brussels will have to mind their manners from now on, with the city authorities announcing new fines of up to 250 euros for insults traded on the streets.

布魯塞爾的居民今後須注意自己的禮貌了,因為市府當局宣布了一項新措施,要對在街頭上辱罵人者處以最高250歐元的罰款。

"Any form of insult is from now on punishable, whether it be racist, homophobic or otherwise," a spokesman quoted Socialist mayor Freddy Thielemans as saying.

一名發言人引述社會黨市長弗雷迪.蒂勒曼斯的話說,「任何形式的辱罵從今起都將受到懲罰,不管是種族主義言論、歧視同性戀者的言論,還是別的。」

Brussels, home to the EU and many top international institutions, is known for its family-friendly and cultivated lifestyle but the mayor wants to crack down on the everyday unpleasantness found in any big city.

布魯塞爾是歐盟總部和很多重要國際機構的所在地,以有利於家庭和有教養的生活方式而著稱,但市長想以此取締這種凡在各大城市每天都會出現的不快之事。

To do so, officials came to an agreement with judicial authorities to impose fines of between 75 and 250 euros for insults, petty theft and rough jostling where no physical harm is caused.

為此,官員和司法當局達成協議,對辱罵、輕微竊盜案以及沒有造成身體傷害的粗魯推撞,處以75歐元到250歐元的罰款。

英倫翻譯社 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()

 

Customer︰I'd like the grilled salmon and a glass of white wine.
顧客︰我要烤鮭魚和1杯白酒。
Waiter︰Would you care to try our new tofu appetizer?
服務生︰您想試試我們新推出的豆腐開胃菜嗎?
Customer︰Could you tell me a little about it?
顧客︰你可以介紹一下這道菜嗎?
Waiter︰It's fried tofu with sweet garlic sauce and spring onions.
服務生︰這是一道加甜蒜泥和蔥的炸豆腐。
Customer︰OK. Why not?

英倫翻譯社 發表在 痞客邦 留言(0) 人氣()